Friday 25 May 2012

Egg all Rolled Up

I am from Kolkatta - a land of big Foodies. 
Today I'll talk about my favourite "Egg Roll". Though it is not a traditional food still if you walk on the lanes of Kolkatta, you'll find every shack is  selling this. The most convenient snack - Paratha with egg in it all rolled up nicely and handed over to you...just bite it and move on.

I gradually started eating other derivates of roll like - pottato roll, paneer roll, mutton roll, chicken roll, fish roll, kabab roll etc. But still I'll say that my tummy lies with Egg Roll. Once during Durga Puja, one of the Bhaiyas in my area thought of setting up a puja special roll stall, and I remember me getting all dressed up in my new dress and asking for 10 rupees from my grandmother and heading straight to the Bhaiya's shop. I placed order to his employee and waited on and on and on. As I was known to him "parar to/ muhalle ki" so that proved to be a hindrance in my case. He was more keen in pleaseing big customers who had multiple orders, my one single order was not tempting enough. He was paying a lot of attention in  bagging new customers, in the process ignoring me completely- "ghar ki murgi dal barabar" - "where shall she go, guranteed, she will buy from me only". That day my favourite egg roll helped me get an insight into human behaviour. Well I was in school then. I grew up with my loyalty towards egg roll. It was there for me, when I was coming back all tired and hungry from my tution classes during my colleage days. It was there when I was sitting up late in the National Library breaking my head over some big fat books during my University days. It was there when I was running after Doctors as a medical representative and never had enough time for lunch. When my fiance (who is from Himachal) came down to Kolkatta for the first time, I fed him Rolls and he loved it. Then I got married and left Kolkatta for New Delhi, there trust me I missed a lot my Egg Roll. Every place has got some food trends of it's own...and sadly Egg Roll was not part of Delhi. Once when I went to Gurgaon Mall there in one of the shops at the Food  Court, I saw "Roll" was written so instictively I rushed there and places order and eagerly waited for it. It was delivered to me in nicely wrapped box, but the momment I openend it I realised it was not the same. It was egg rolled up in rumali roti and sliced up into two - it had a variant name - "Kathi Roll" and it is not anywhere close to "Egg Roll". Then my husband was transferred to Gujrat. I felt starved of my love. So one fine day I decided to do it myself. So I made the paratha first, poured out the liquide egg on top which in no time settled down inseparably, stuffed it with greens and painted it red with sauce...then only one thing was remaining ....Bite - Bite - Bite

No comments:

Post a Comment