Friday 25 May 2012

No Butter is added to this milk

What is this? This is a glass full of chilled "Buttermilk". As I was telling yesterday, every place has some unique eating trends of its own. This is an integral part of Gujrat. My husband was posted to a place called Porbander, popularly known for being Gandhiji's Birthplace. The day we reached that place, we had a welcome party at the Circuit Villa. That was my first exposure to the famous "Gujrati Thali" ( about which I'll talk at some other time), along which was served this - Buttermilk. I was avoiding it, thinking it to be a very watery version of a glass of lassi. Then, one of my husband's staff approached me and said "Madam, you are not drinking this!! this is buttermilk, we believe it is good for digestion. Porbander is a place for acidity, you'll experience it as you spend more time in here. We might eat lot of oily stuff but we make sure to wash it all down with this "Buttermilk" - Try it". That talk on "Buttermilk" insisted me to drink at least one glas, as a mark of respect to him, but I did not quite like it. Then on, I noticed whenever we were invited to anyone's house for lunch or dinner, the very first thing that used to be brought on table was a huge jug of "Buttermilk", that made things clear that it was a very integral part of their dietery chart. Well, he was right I started getting all those acidity pangs. I still did keep this at bay as I was not convinced with it's taste. I was pregnant at that time, so taste did mean a lot to me, as slighttest dislike made me throw up. It was well after my delivery that once my husband took me to a place called " Bombay Dinning Hall". I was damn thirsty and as a welcome drink I was served "Buttermilk" with spices sprinkled on top and chopped corriander added for that touch of green. It was served chilled in hot summer noon, thus the setting was perfect to quench my thirst. Then on I realized that nothing was wrong with the buttermilk, may be it was not served perfect to my taste. and more so presentation also counts. If it appeals to your eyes, automatically half the battle is won. Rest depends on how much in need of it you are, like me in this case, I was thirsty enough to be willing to accept everything. Lastly the level of expectation, I was expecting nothing. Thus it pleasantly surprised me with its soothing salty taste. So since that day till now it is part of our daily diet too. And my son being born in the land of Gujjus, he actually makes sure to remind me of pouring a glass for him even if I forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment